Monday, June 29, 2015

Digital...?




I'm in my forties and I'm not a digital native but a semi-proficient digital immigrant and subversive resister. I use TED talks that help students explore the depth of their own dignity and humanity and that of others. Let me illustrate my self understanding with some of the resources I use. As I want my students to have this reflection on dignity I use digital media such as these talks by Abbot Martin Werlen and Gary Wilson to wrestle with difficult topics in communication and relationships.


 

 I also enjoy really stretching my students by showing them, without introduction, the Radi-Aid "commercial" and then discussing and debriefing it.  This usually helps them realize their digital native status but also their media illiteracy.
 

I believe my students are best served by asking questions about whatever media or message they encounter so I have them read the "Questions and Power" portion of Andrea Batista Schlesinger's book The Death of Why. I believe gaining new "answers" can be an addictive process that reinforces an ego need to be right/and or justified and that a life with good and deepening questions are the constitutive element of a liberating recovery from that dead ended pursuit of information addiction. This site  After my students read this portion of the book I invite them to write out the most challenging question they can pose to our dominant American culture.

 As much as I am into both the video dimension and the interrogative dimension of media literacy and use digital resources to access greater knowledge I use simpler images that make subversive points like the work of Komar and Melamid This site In my work department I am the median age in my department and I like to take risks so I see myself less apt to do somethings younger colleagues will do but generally a bit more than my older colleagues.

1 comment:

  1. Dan, how interesting. I'd be interested to hear how you go about having these discussions in your classroom.You're definitely taking risks, and asking your students to do the same!

    What's the "best" question they've come up with when pondering the most challenging question they can pose to the dominant American culture?

    ReplyDelete